Sunday, June 15, 2008

Feast of St. Anthony of Padua



Last Friday was our town feast. And for the first time ever, I wasn’t home to celebrate it with the family since I was still at the university. I didn’t come home until around nine in the evening and by that time, there was nothing left to indicate the festivity that had been, other than the expected traffic, empty dishes and dirty plates. It was a little bit melancholic to be honest especially when there used to be a time that friends and classmates would come over to indulge to the surfeit of foods not to mention the later talkathons and fair enjoyments. But that was before college.

This time around, not only had I lost my visitors but I, myself, had missed the most part of the feast day. The point in which the activities and frivolities proved to be most exciting and filling: the fair, carnival, bargain shops, fireworks display and all sort of contests, shows and amateurs for all ages and whatever sexes. Although the way I had observed it over the years, it was either the little kiddies’ musical show or the gay beauty pageant that always evoke the greatest kind of delight and the loudest round of applause from the audience.


But town feast is not purely a social occasion of merrymaking for it is also a religious event just as much. A time for thanksgiving and glorification to the town’s patron saint (St. Anthony of Padua) as a sign of gratitude for all the life’s blessings. And that’s when the abundance of foods comes into play to make the affair an unforgettable one. For a day, it is an open-house for everybody where foods and drinks are shared by everyone regardless if you’re family or not.


Such a simple, selfless fun on a festive day, typical in a small Filipino town.


A once-a-year cultural celebration and tradition to which—I had shamefully missed.


But I need not to cry buckets yet for I was still lucky enough to have witnessed the Karakol, the morning after.


Karakols (Filipino street dancing) are always fun to watch, something not to be missed if possible.

So Saturday morning came, I bolted out of the bed just right on time to witness one.


Loud but harmonic bands of drums and other percussions led the crowd as they marched through the streets. They previewed for the onlookers various Filipino songs ranging from the old folk Bahay Kubo down to the popular novelty, Itaktak mo. Then, dancing to the beat and queuing on the street, were the townspeople, girls and boys, young and old alike. They came in groups, all so beautifully dressed, next to the image of St. Anthony of Padua, which was also paraded before them as part of the custom. People danced and cheered to the end, satisfied and gratified, at ease and at bliss.







P.S. I know, the photos aren't all that good. Crappy angles. As much as I love the camera, so it seems that the camera doesn't love me back, so just bear with me on this one, please ;p


No comments: