Thursday, June 12, 2008

Old man and the pen


More often than not, professors don’t make their appearance until the second day, or even if they did so in the first day it’s rather brief and mainly consisted of the introduction part, syllabus-explaining/form-5 checking-part and if in case you would take a leak for a good five minutes, your return afterwards would just be in time to see that it’s already the goodbye-see-you-next-meeting-part.


There are, however, exceptional cases when the professor would make his grand entrance, very prompt and very prim…and very famous!


My exceptional case happened during my TTh 2:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m. class. Anna, Ronn, Marc, Joy and I were all chatting, having our own games of speculations and expectations. Suddenly, Marc gasped aloud, and his “Oh my god!” was the last thing I heard before in walked the Penman himself!


I was literally starstrucked! He’s a very swell looking old man whose mere pace commands natural respect and positive reception. He’s got this very peaceful and light aura in him that for the splittest of a second I honestly thought that there's no way in the bloody freakin' hell he's real. I mean, the Penman! All live and flesh in front of me and he’s going to teach us for the whole semester! It took every ounce of my breathing to not hyperventilate as I processed the information. Gaaah...


It felt so regal to know that the man who seems to exist only on his authored papers, published books and sometimes television appearances was just in the same room as I was and not the usual spectrum media away. And he’s our professor! Awww.

No comments: