Saturday, June 21, 2008

On bended rule


Rules are good.


They set the order of things. They give chance to fairness. They’re safe. They prevent mishaps. Hell, they even make (some) people a tad responsible, so much as they know not to break them.


But rules give as much disappointment as pleasure. They tend to be a great pain in the a$$ in the most unlikely time that you may often find yourself saying, to hell with them, and cursing whoever Pontius Pilate it was who set them in the first place.


I believe in the goodness of rules, really. But it’s the sensible me that believe even much more so that any normal human being was, is or will be a violator to a rule at some extent.


Last Thursday, I was so eager to break one. I lost my I.D. (again!) and in effect, I couldn’t get in to the library. I went to the Photo ID Room to get a new but it was this horrible guy who deprived me from getting one.


Horrible guy: Sorry, you can’t. The UPIS kids are the ones scheduled today. Freshmen and upperclassmen will resume their rightful schedule next week. So come back then.

Pitiful Annel: But Sir, I really need the I.D. today to go to the library and borrow a book I must have for one of my subjects.

Horrible guy: Sorry, really can’t. It’s in the rule and the schedule.

Pitiful Annel: Can’t you really get me one? I mean, there’s not even the line of your expected students yet. You can take my picture now and produce the I.D. in less than five minutes, and I bet they still wouldn’t be here. Please, sir.

Horrible Guy: No. (turned his back on me)

Pitiful Annel: Grrrr…


Has he no consideration at all? I stated my case. I needed the I.D. for a scholastic reason. It’s not like I wanted to have a new one just for the fun of it. And what had me even more vexed was the fact that he was just there standing, waiting for the yet-to-arrive UPIS kids. What if instead of standing uselessly, he made himself helpful and accommodated me? His five-minute of standing could have produced me the I.D. I wanted. But no. Because he decided to stick with the rule and the schedule.


To hell with that rule!


And it didn’t add any appeasement that I was thinking how rules, in reality, are broken extensively. Exceptions are made. Adjustments are created. But only for special people.


Begrudgingly, I wasn’t special enough to have that pass.


I guess, rules are not that good, after all.

No comments: